Fees and Insurance

Are you taking new clients?

I’m not at this time and I’m not sure when I’ll have openings (these things are generally not as predictable as I’d like). People often ask if I have a wait list and I do not. Fortunately central Ohio has an abundance of great therapists and I don’t think it’s ethical to ask people to wait for me when it’s more than likely that there is someone terrific with availability who could see them now. I do try to keep the names of colleagues on hand so you are welcome to contact me for referrals and I’ll be happy to share some names.

If I want you to see my child, will you need to see me, too?

Yes, at least once. I like to meet with parents first so they can tell me what their concerns are and what their goals are in coming to counseling. If we decide to move forward then we will discuss how things will work.

Please note: The Ohio Revised Code, which oversees the licensed practice of counselors, dictates that divorced families supply a copy of their custody agreement for my records before I can work with that family’s child. Unless the custody agreement says otherwise, I need permission from both parents to begin counseling and both parents have the right to access their child’s medical records.

What are your fees?

I charge $150 for the 50-minute therapy hour.

Do you take insurance?

I am an out-of-network provider, which means I am not on any insurance panels. If you have out-of-network benefits some or all of the cost of counseling may be covered. I do take Health Spending/Savings Accounts. If you are interested in learning more about your out-of-network options, you can call your insurance company and ask the following questions:

  • Do I have mental health benefits?
  • What is my deductible and has it been met?
  • How many mental health sessions per calendar year does my insurance plan cover?
  • How much does my plan cover for an out-of-network mental health provider?
  • How do I obtain reimbursement for therapy with an out-of-network provider?
  • What is the coverage amount per therapy session?
  • Is approval required from my primary care physician?
  • What documentation do I need to submit to be reimbursed?

At the beginning of each month my electronic health records system can generate a superbill, which is an itemized receipt listing all rendered services from the previous month. Just let me know that you’d like access to this and then you can log in to the portal to download it to submit to your insurance company. This will also stand as a receipt to use for year end taxes. Please note: In order to submit a superbill you or your child will need a mental health diagnosis. Not everyone who comes to see me meets the criteria for a diagnosis. We can discuss this further when we meet.